A recent Mass Landlords meeting at our Newton office.
A proven reputation
We completed our first rental in 2011 and have completed hundreds since.
Over the years, Watch City Real Estate has earned a reputation as a leading leasing agency among landlords and renters alike. We’ve accomplished this by hiring professionals who are intelligent, motivated and personable. They all support our overall business philosophy: we never focus on short term profits at the expense of our reputation, and we promise to provide a level of services that will exceed our customers’ expectations. Importantly, member of team typically reside in the areas where they work. (When we say, “We know Waltham,” you can be sure we do.)
Many real estate rental brokers work as apartment finding services, showing potential renters dozens of properties for their consideration. Although there is a thriving market for this service, it is not what we do. Instead, we work in behalf of a select number of landlords who engage us to find qualified tenants to fill their vacancies. This allows us to gain an in-depth understanding of each property.
Here’s our typical rental process:
1. We begin with a market assessment of the property or available rental unit. We use various analytical tools to examine rental market trends and we closely examine ‘competitors’ potential tenants will likely consider.
2. We usually take our own, professional -quality pictures but can use those provided by a landlord.
3. Once we have worked with a landlord to establish a price, we prepare comprehensive notes that in turn help us determine the property features and benefits to highlight in our advertising. We also advise on lease terms.
4. We meet with the landlord to discuss key factors in their applicant evaluation process—credit scores and history, for example. We do not work with landlords who unfairly or illegally discriminate. We know the Fair Housing rules well and can work with you to ensure that you are also knowledgeable.
5. Many of our renters find us through our own websites, but we also advertise elsewhere. Here is a partial list of sites we use to market our listings:
*MLS may be used where the landlord agrees that we may cooperate with other, 3rd-party brokers to promote a property. ‘Craigslist is also used on a selective basis.
Our agents also have their own favored means to promote their listings –personal websites and Facebook pages, for example.
6. When we receive an inquiry, our first step is to pre-qualify the potential applicant based on the overall rental requirements. For example, is the rent affordable? Can they come up with all move-in costs? Who will reside in the rental property? Any pets? How many vehicles?
7. We schedule showings and for those interested we accept applications. We use a new, online application designed specifically for us. It is easy to use and once processed it provides a comprehensive financial profile as well as a report of any criminal convictions and evictions. We can assist you in reviewing and interpreting the results. It is our practice to require payment of a deposit along with the application. We hold the funds in escrow until the lease is signed.
8. We provide the background report to you along with the results of reference calls and copies of government issued ID, pay stubs or other required documents.
9. After a review with you, we notify the applicant of your decision.
10. We prepare leases and related paperwork, coordinate singing and transfer of keys for move in.
We’re landlords ourselves
Several of our team members own commercial or family properties and through this have gained deep, ‘in the trenches’ knowledge of the pressures landlords face day-to-day.
We see success as a journey, not a destination
Any professional—or business—failing to invest in continuous learning is destined to fail. We’re in a world in which change is a constant; those who don’t understand this are soon swept away. Our principals were part of a small group of landlords and real estate industry professionals who collaborated to start the Charles River Rental Housing Association, a chapter of MassLandlords.Net. Our goal is to offer everything you need to be a successful landlord. Through monthly meetings and seminars, we discuss current issues in the property leasing business and usually have guest speakers who discuss such topics as Insurance and Tax Planning for Landlords, Property Maintenance, Deleading, Conflict Resolution, Fair Housing, Buying or Selling Occupied Property and much more.